There are numerous reasons for clogged garbage disposal. Some of the common reasons include debris or food thrown directly into the garbage disposal, which stops the flywheel from rotating and affect its job. The function of the flywheel is to churn the food inside the disposal so as to make smaller pieces of it. If you have clogged garbage disposal, then follow the below-mentioned tips to fix the problem.
1. To start with the fixing job, you need a hex-head wrench, wooden spoon, and flashlight.
2. Turn off the power supply on your Garbage disposal unit before starting working on the garbage disposal as a safety measure.
3. On most occasions, the problem occurs when the blades of the disposal are blocked or choked. You can check the condition of the blades with the help of a flashlight and see as to what is coming in the way of blades to prevent them from moving. If you are able to find an unwanted object, pull it up by holding the same with the help of tong, plier or another appropriate tool. This will unclog the garbage disposal.
4. When you buy garbage disposal, there is always a hex-head wrench available with the packing. This is used for the hole available at the bottom. Insert the Hex-head wrench into the hole and start moving back and forth. Repeat the same a couple of times to manually move the flywheel, which is being stopped by the obstructions.
5. Now, get your hands on the wooden broom handle or spoon and inject it to the disposal again from drain sink. Start rotating the flywheel manually through this and continue until it starts moving freely.
6. Now remove the wooden broom handle from the disposal and turn on the power supply to check whether your efforts are proven successful or not.
Another way of checking the garbage disposal whether it is clogged or not is by turning it on and off. If you hear the brisk sound, then it means blades are not moving. If you turn on the disposal and doesn’t even hear a humming sound, then it is not the problem of clogging that you are dealing with, it’s something else.
It is worth mentioning here that there is a reset button given in garbage disposal at the bottom of it. It is generally red in color. Before implementing any solutions for clogged disposal, you must reset the garbage by pressing the reset button for at least 5 seconds. This may sometimes solve the clogging problem.
Don’t touch garbage disposal with bare hands from inside as the blades are very sharp and may inflict damage to your hands. If you have turned off the disposal from the main supply and blades are still moving, then keep your fingers away from them or else you could severely injure your hands.